11.18.2004

Nothing For Me

So, tonight was the Big D and Voodoo Glow Skulls show. I'd tell you all about it, but I didn't end up going. I couldn't find any companions to accompany me, so I missed out on it. I suppose I could have gone it alone, but concerts are always better when they're somebody there with you. More importantly, I didn't really feel like driving to Cleveland and back by myself.

I had back up plans though. Our school was showing a sneak peak of National Treasure, and while it's not a high energy ska show, it's gotta be better than sitting in the dorm. Well, that plan went kaput when the movie reel went kaput. I must just have bad luck.

So what did I do instead? Watched the OC for the first time ever. How was it you ask? Mildly interesting, certainly nothing new. The acting was typical teen acting. On a side note how is it that college graduates continue to play high school students. On a side side note, why do only beautiful people live in California. Anyway, the one good thing about the show was the showcasing of the band the Walkmen. Sounds like the O.C. is upping it's musical appeal by showcasing the likes of the Walkmen along with the Killers and Modest Mouse. Imagine that, good bands being put on a prime time tv show mostly frequented by high school age girls. Will the bands see a boost in publicity? Modest Mouse and the Killers are already making their way up the proverbial popularity chart, but the Walkmen are a little bit less known. A little less dance, and a little bit more garage/experimental than both the Killers and Modest Mouse, the Walkmen are an odd pick for the O.C. (although their tour with Modest Mouse could have caused the producers to pick them, who knows)

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. Here's a cut off of Bows and Arrows, entitled Thinking of a Dream I Had. It's a bit more upbeat then most of the other songs on the CD, but instead of a slow thumping bass/dance beat, we get a rhythym that is counterpart to the frenetic guitar playing. Tell me what you think about it.

The Walkmen - Thinking of a Dream I Had

No comments: